Ubuntu, WvDial, Bluetooth and my GSM phone as GPRS Modem
Here are the links that were of much help:
So now, here are the steps that I did to finally connect to the internet using my Nokia 6151 as my gprs modem over bluetooth.
1. Activate my GPRS setting.
Since I am subscribed to Smart, I sent this keyword to 211, SET N6151. The message prompted me to save the settings which also activated not only the GPRS but also MMS and 3G services.
2. Install Bluetooth utilities.
I am using an Acer Aspire 4720 (thanks to Girl Bawang for the “pamana”) which has a built-in Bluetooth so all I need to do is press the Bluetooth button and I’ll get the Bluetooth applet after making sure that I have the latest of the following:
$ sudo apt-get upgrade bluez-utils bluez-gnome wvdial
$ sudo apt-get install bluez-utils bluez-gnome wvdial
or, from the Synaptic Package Manager, search for bluez then mark bluez-utils and bluez-gnome for installation. Same goes for wvdial.
3. The Pairing
I set my laptop as my phone’s paired device. And on my laptop’s Bluetooth menu, set my phone as a trusted device.
4. The Binding
Now, I have to make sure that my phone and laptop can communicate and discuss things like creating connection and sending/receiving packet data. =)
$ hcitool scan
showed my MAC or BD address:
$ sdptool search dun
showed my DUN channel which is 1.
Searching for dun on 00:11:22:33:44:55 …
Service Name: Dial-up networking
Service RecHandle: 0x1005f
Service Class ID List:
“Dialup Networking” (0×1103)
“Generic Networking” (0×1201)
Protocol Descriptor List:
Language Base Attr List:
After knowing what MAC and Channel to use, I typed:
$ rfcomm bind 0 00:11:22:33:44:55 1
To check if my GPRS modem and my phone was ready to meet, I typed:
and it showed,
rfcomm0: 00:11:22:33:44:55 channel 1 clean
Seeing clean, I edited /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf to create the binding:
# RFCOMM configuration file.
comment “Jajabinx’s N6151“;
Then, I edited /etc/wvdial.conf
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”Internet”
Modem = /dev/rfcomm0
Phone = *99#
Username = jajabinx
Password = wordpass
New PPPD = yes
ISDN = no
BAUD = 115200
Stupid Mode = yes
Carrier Check = no
The Init3 line is what I exactly used. If you’re using Globe, better call customer service to know your APN.
5. The Connection
Now, my laptop is ready to communicate with my phone and discuss things like creating connection and sending/receiving packet data. =)
To refresh my bluetooth, I typed
sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart
Then the final command,
And here’s what my terminal showed..
–> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
–> Initializing modem.
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
[... ppd logs]
–> local IP address 10.157.192.194
–> remote IP address 10.6.6.6
–> primary DNS address 22.214.171.124
–> secondary DNS address 126.96.36.199
6. The Surfing
Now, everytime I need to use the gprs modem connection, I only need to open my terminal and execute,
The boxed “G” showing on my phone’s upper left phone display signals that I am connected to the net. The concern I have now is having to monitor how long I’m connected to the net. You see, I can easily get carried away with reading mails, checking forums and reading updates. But P20/hr, I guess is not so bad especially when I’m at home on weekends. The nearest i-cafe from our place is a taxikel+jeepney ride away. And the PCs there are still using IE. Whew!